Foam roofs are a great choice for flat roofs. There are several advantages a foam roof has over other flat roofing systems. But there are a few things that you should know about your Foam roof!
- Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) is a closed cell foam for the roof
- However, for every inch of foam on the roof it provides an R7 value of insulation
- Once foam is sprayed out of the gun it takes about a minute to set up
- The foam itself is completely waterproof
- The white (or color of your choice) coating is applied to the foam to prevent the suns UV from breaking the foam down
- The coating (white) also reflects up to 90% of the UV rays making a foam roof very energy efficient
- Foam roofs have to be coated every 5 to 10 years in order for the foam to stay protected
- There is no other system that is seamless such as foam
- Foam can be walked on and it will not “crush” or be “squished” by walking on it
- Penetrations and AC units on the roof are the most susceptible areas for a leak to occur
- Your roof should be cleaned before and after monsoon season, especially if you have trees of any kind where debris can cause blockages in the way water drains
- Foam roofs, if maintained properly by being coated, will last 50+ years
- Be sure to hire a professional who is licensed, bonded, and insured to protect yourself
When installing a foam roof we can either clean and prepare the current roof to be foamed over or tear off and dispose of the old roof and inspect substrate and apply the foam directly to substrate. It is standard to have 1” of foam on the roof but you may choose more. Everything is taped off and cars are covered if not moved so no over-spray will occur. We then apply the elastomeric top coat to the foam to protect the foam from the UV rays. Clean up and touch up work are all completed to ensure a clean job!