There are many factors to consider in choosing a roof, including style, color, durability, warranties and installation. Here are some facts to help you decide:
- Concrete roof tile is made of sand, cement, and water. The exact materials vary somewhat with each manufacturer but basically contain Portland cement, blended hydraulic cements and fly ash, sand, and other aggregates. The products from most manufacturers look very similar in size and shapes and colors. There are several manufacturers of concrete tile.
- SBS rubberized asphalt provides a more pliable and elastic membrane. Minimizes buckles and wrinkles by laying flatter and smoother therefore adding a longer roof life.
- Architectural shingles create a multidimensional effect. They feature laminated construction for longer life.
- Roof shingles come in colors from natural wood shades to intense slate blue, green and red. If you have a homeowners’ association, check the architectural guidelines.
- Spray Polyurethane Foam, SPF, is an insulating plastic that is sprayed on as a liquid that quickly expands to several times its original thickness creating a water tight roofing material. Ideal for flat roofs.
- Roof replacement should include removal of existing materials, a structural integrity inspection, deck underlayment, drip edges and metal flashings